Monday, August 21, 2006

Snakes on a Stephen



It's Monday, which means that it's time to longlingly reminesce about the weekend and tackle two not-so-underground-anymore topics...

-On Thursday, some comrades and I attending a tapng of The Colbert Report. Unless you've been under a rock for the last year, Stephen Colbert and John Stewart are kicking mainstream media arse and doing a better job of educating the coveted "young voter" demographic on current issues than bigger news oulets (cough, Fox News, cough). Neil Young was the guest and the two rocked out some blatantly unoriginal anti-war songs. Stephen even did a salute and eyebrow raise right at me during a commercial break! My heart melted. Although I'm still sad that the people who are supposed to keep check on the government and society now need Comedy Central to keep them in line. I suppose that's democracy - the constant reapplication of Madisonian factions and the checks and balance system.

-On Friday night, after MONTHS of waiting, I saw Snakes on a Plane. I know it's cliche to blog about, well, the most blogged about movie ever, but it was a pretty enjoyable experience. I don't know if I'd watch it on video or years from now, but it's a great flick to catch in theaters with a big posse of amigos. Our theater in Chelsea was packed with loud, hissing, excited and vocal fans. It was almost like a screening of Rocky Horror or something. I guess I was disappointed that the filmmakers knew that they were making a joke movie. I tend to think things are funnier when they're genuine, like the Backstreet Boys, Crossroads or my boy David Hasselhoff (REALTIONSHIP ALERT: He's single now...and not even a restraining order can hold him back!) When people take themselves seriously and execute things with conviction, it just separates them from reality more and makes for more absurdity. "Snakes" was fully conscious of the fact that loads of hipster nerds would flock to see it. Cult movies aren't born, they're made.