Friday, October 06, 2006

Blinded by Science: Meow

I don't like cats. There I said it. I've never lived without a dog (until relocating to my Manhattan shoebox) but take comfort in the fact that there's one on the other side of the country who eagerly anticipates my bi-annual visits home. If cats were people, they'd be the pretentious hobags who cut in front of you in the Starbucks line, smacking you with aPrada bag, jabbering on a cell phone and glaring at you for existing.

You don't own cats, they own you. If they stayed kittens forever, I think I could deal with that. But attitude aside, if I'm around them for more than a few hours, my nose runs like a faucet and my eyes begin to resemble those of a crack addict.

NY Times science section (geeky pleasure) shows that for anti-kittenmetics like me, there might be hope. Scientists in California (where else?) have engineered a hypo-allergenic cat that doesn't create the proteins that trigger allergies like mine. Cool, but like most new advancements, kind of creepy. I'm still weirded out by Japanese square watermelon.