Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Meanwhile in America...


So I've been back in the U.S. for a month and half now and horribly neglecting this blog because I've been busy at a new job (details to follow), restarting an old one, visiting family back in Oregon, moving into a new place and catching up with friends back in the city.

I wish that I could write some lengthy, eloquent post that pinpointed exactly how China transformed me as a person, how life in the states will never be the same, how the bridge between China and Chinatown seems a little more accessible, blah blah blah, but the truth is that I'm still perplexed by it all. Almost as weird as my time in China are my conversations with people now that I'm back: "You ran out of cabs?" or "There was smoke all the time?" or "So you're fluent in Chinese now, right?"

Gah. Glad to be back in New York, but there is that occasional pang for the land I left. Sigh.