Friday, April 04, 2008

A Debut on Amazon


A Google alert for my name (it's not narcissism, it's staying informed of one's web presence) reveals that for the price of $5.95, you can buy on Amazon an early gem from my journalism career: my 2002 feature story on mullets, originally published in Eugene's Register-Guard.

I didn't know that archive news stories were Amazon fodder these days. I also didn't know that my use of short sentences in ledes was so out of control:

THE KENTUCKY waterfall. The Missouri compromise. The Canadian passport. The Tennessee top hat. Here in the Northwest, it's simply known as the mullet.

You've seen them. Business in front, party in back. Short on top, long on bottom. The hair makes the shape of the No. 7 when seen as a profile. It seems as if a third of the high school students in the late 1970s and early '80s sported one.

What's worse - having a mullet or having documented evidence that you were obsessed with them?