Thursday, April 03, 2008

The Nick-at-Nite/Jamie Lynn Conspiracy

Growing up, Nick-at-Nite was a beacon of hope in the lagoon of cable TV madness. They ran "I Love Lucy," "The Honeymooners," "Leave it to Beaver" and "The Mary Tyler Moore Show." My baby-boomer parents relived the idealized suburban life that they never had and I learned that Cuban racismo can be really silly.

Ah, yes. The insane Pilon family not clawing over each other to the television set and peacefully crossing the generation gap.

In the last few years, Nick-at-Nite has dramatically shifted programming gears. The line-up includes "The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air," "The Cosby Show" and "Full House" - in other words, the shows that I grew up with.

And therein lies the theory. People of my generation who are cranking out kids now have something to watch with their own spawn. The execs at Viacom know that us GenY, Nicktoons-bred children of the 80s yearn to teach the youngins about life before the iPhone. The babies Spears will know the power of John Stamos!

Depending on what you think about teen pregnancy, this marketing strategy is either progressive or trailer trash. Either way, I miss Lucy and Ethel.