Friday, July 25, 2008

Bicycles and Fairies: The Magic and Mystery of the LES

Once upon a time (May 30th) I emerged from the East Broadway F train station, fresh from a red-eye flight from Peru. Laden with baggage, I lumbered toward my apartment, knowing that a stack of to-do post its awaited.

Before I hit the entrance, horror struck.

Someone attacked my precious bike. The seat was gone, as was the front wheel. It's red frame, still locked, sat tilted from the trauma. I was too cracked out from my flight to process the immense suckiness of my favorite mode of transportation being destroyed. I hated my landlord for not having an indoor bike haven and hated myself for not using extra locks.

One of my roommates reported that his front wheel, but not seat, was also stolen. People suck.

A couple of weeks pass and I was too busy and downtrodden to deal with my bike. I waited in hot subway trains and got blisters walking. Seeing the two-wheeled delivery boys horneting around made me bitter.

One morning, I saw a bike wheel leaning against my bike frame. Another wheel rested next to my roommate's bike. I reasoned that he bought two wheels and handed me the second.

I entered the apartment. "Hey, Mary. Thanks for the wheel."

"I thought you bought the wheel."

"I thought you did."

"No..."

"Then where did it come from?"

I believe in the Bicycle Wheel Fairy (BWF) of the Lower East Side - a tender soul who runs around righting the wrongs of thieves.

The next day, I headed out to try and attach the new miracle wheel.

But it was nowhere to be found.