Sunday, September 28, 2008

It's okay. I hear there's protein in melamine!

You see this picture? It ran in Saturday's A section of the WSJ in a story about tainted milk products from China making their way into the U.S. Scary stuff. White Rabbit (xiao bai!) candy and Mr. Brown coffee products are on the FDAs warning list.

So, I took that photo. At the bodega around the corner from my apartment. I eat White Rabbit candy all the time and practically lived off of them for four months when I was in Shanghai. When my editor asked if I knew what they were, I could feel my stomach clench. When I was trotting around interviewing people on Friday, no one had any idea that they were selling anything potentially dangerous.

This isn't the first time I've experienced sketchy China. I brushed my teeth with fun for months before realizing there could be lead in there. I survived!

But if tomorrow I curl up in a fetal position and start twitching, you'll know why.