Sunday, July 05, 2009

Bookquest 2009: Midyear Update

Several people have asked if I'm still on track to read 50 books this year. The good news is that I am! The bad news is I've done a dismal job of chronicling my journey.

By my count, we're wrapping up week 27 of the year and I just finished my 30th title! Here's the complete list of what I've read so far:

"The White Tiger" by Aravind Adiga
"Devil in the White City" by Erik Larson
"Snow Falling on Cedars" by David Guterson
"The Wall Street Journal Complete Real-Estate Investing Guidebook" by David Crook
"Barrel Fever" is the first collection from Dave Sedaris
"A Bend in the River" by V.S. Naipaul
"Diary of a Bad Year" by J.M. Coetzee
"Levittown" by David Kushner
"Other Voices, Other Rooms" by Truman Capote
"Boyhood" by J.M. Coetzee
"The Spy Who Came in From the Cold" by John le Carre
"The Sirens of Titan" by Kurt Vonnegut
“Dorothy Parker: Complete Stories” by Dorothy Parker
“The Memoirs of John Likkel” by John Likkel*
“The Orchid Thief” by Susan Orlean
“Out of the Pits” by Caitlin Zaloom
“Between the Assassinations” by Aravind Adiga
“The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time” by Mark Haddon
“The Old Man and the Sea” by Ernest Hemingway
“The Partly Cloudy Patriot” by Sarah Vowell
“Blood Meridian” by Cormac McCarthy
“Brief Interviews with Hideous Men” by David Foster Wallace
“The Road” by Cormac McCarthy
“Smart Women Marry Money” by Elizabeth Ford and Daniela Drake**
“Then We Came to the End” by Joshua Ferris
“Nobody Move” by Denis Johnson
“The Name of the World” by Denis Johnson
“Created in Darkness by Troubled Americans: the Best of McSweeney’s Humor Category” ed. Dave Eggers, etc.
“The Stranger” by Albert Camus
“Angels” by Denis Johnson

I've got several more titles en queue but have been gratefully accepting other suggestions. (Send more!) If your recommendation isn't on there yet, don't feel slighted! My bookshelf is brimming! And it's only July!

*I came across my great-grandfather's memoirs while at home in Oregon in March and helping my grandma go through things. Since great-grandpa's tale was well over 100 pages, I decided to count it. More on what I found later.

**Don't worry, I read this one for work. (More.)